ODYSSEY | Announcement

General chat and discussion

Would you like to participate with your input and knowledge of the game ?

yes
80%
no
No votes
maybe
20%

Total votes: 5

LordPharis

ODYSSEY | Announcement

Post by LordPharis »

Greetings

As you maybe or maybe not know, I am working on a project inspired by LotgD. It is not a remake nor an official successor.
It merely borrows some of the elements that made so called "door games" back in the day so great ( when all the action happened on BBS , where Legend Of The Red Dragon came from as well )
and is enhanced by a world map, graphics, sounds and makes use of modern technologies on the web.

One of its outstanding features is the ability for admins to create your own scenes and encounters in the administration panel, basically removing the need to have mods.
All of these can be enhanced with audio elements and graphics.

After some years of development, the underlying platform has been completed and the focus is now shifting to game mechanics, and this is the reason for this topic:

I would like to discuss game mechanics with interested LotgD players.
There will be a topic for every major game mechanic and the goal is to get an idea of what works and what does not.
Keep in mind, that features and mechanics will be implemented in a linear way, one after the other, following a layered approach so that every mechanics builds upon the last one.

The first mechanic to be addressed will be travel in the world map, since it is a central element to the way the game works.
Everyone with enough interest ( and of all skill levels ), is welcome and can share their thoughts. The Topics will be private ( hoping that Kizaing can help me here ).

A few things you should know :

- there is not ( yet ) a public server to test the features.
- it runs on a development machine that is private for now. It runs the core features of the game.
- there are however some demos that demonstrate certain of the features
- the current project name is ODYSSEY and will be referred as such in the Topic Title
- this will not be ready to play in the near future and features will come step by step in incremental updates

If you have more questions ( about anything ) you can either DM me or post on this very topic here.

Note : Kizaing kindly allowed me to go ahead with this topic

Farewell and stay safe.
Last edited by LordPharis on July 28th, 2020, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I enjoy flying to Sagittarius A* , Mine and Craft stuff and spending my days as a Code Monkey.

Mabruk

Re: ODYSSEY | Announcement

Post by Mabruk »

Hey

So this is happening. Great.
How is this going to work ?

- what if people just want to use text in the game ?
- will there be ( like in LotgD ) a download with the code to host it yourself ?
- what are the requirements to host ?
- how will mods work ?
- will it be free ?

So many questions :D :lol:

LordPharis

Post by LordPharis »

what if people just want to use text in the game ?
This is something that is up to the admin. The game can be played without graphics and sound if this is configured by the admin.
will there be ( like in LotgD ) a download with the code to host it yourself ?
Odyssey is built in a way where the frontend ( html , css , javascript ) is separated from the core engine. Admins will be able to download the front-end part as well as all the files needed for it to work properly.
The Files are hosted on the admin's own server and can be customized in the same way as a web page would be customized. If you know your way around CSS, JS and HTML , you can modify everything you want.
The servers communicate with the central core server via API and get the responses and all needed information to display the events and actions to the players.
what are the requirements to host ?
  • at least PHP7.4
  • modern MySql Database ( support for more database engines is planned )
  • storage space for all the assets you intend to host
how will mods work ?
Admins can create scenes, add reactions, text , assets , characters , items , quests and conditions. Those can be shared among other admins, effectively doing away with the need to have mods.
In the first phase, what you can do will be rather simple, but like everything in this project, additional layers will be added, increasing the depth of the things you can do.
will it be free ?
  • Players can play the game for free
  • During the Alpha and Beta phase, a selected group of admins will be able to host their worlds also for free
  • After release, the download of the server code needed to host own worlds will be restricted to PATREON supporters.
  • Players will still be able to play for free.
  • Players that support me on PATREON get additional features. ( note : those features are not planned to contain any gameplay advantages over regular players)
I chose PATREON due to the following reason : maintaining and running a the central server and the continued development cost time and money. This is a reality.
I enjoy flying to Sagittarius A* , Mine and Craft stuff and spending my days as a Code Monkey.

Mabruk

Post by Mabruk »

Awesome dude. :) :D

Kizaing
Site Admin

Post by Kizaing »

Oh wow this looks great! I'm really excited to play around with this at some point (I hope) :D